Shrimp & Veggie Stir Fry: Freezer Skillet Meal
Sweet, tangy, with a definite Asian flair this dish is perfect served over a big bowl of white or brown rice. While you can buy your vegetables fresh and dice I find that it is better to buy them frozen and ready to go in the bag. Not only is it cost-effective (-compare buying 5 or 6 different veggies, as well as water chestnuts to a big bag for $1.99), but they are generally frozen at the peak of ripeness so they contain more nutrients, and it just saves so much prep time this way. Swap out small bite-sized pieces of chicken or beef if you are not a seafood fan- prep and cook the same way.
Ingredients for Shrimp & Veggie Stir Fry at Home
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 large bag frozen stir fry vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 tsp.. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
Optional: Add Stir Fry Meat instead of shrimp (You can use any of the following cuts: Sirloin, Skirt Steak or Flank Steak; cut into cubes and add to bag)
Here’s 3 of My Favorite Red Pepper Flakes
Directions to Cook Shrimp & Veggie Stir Fry
- Place all ingredients in a 1 gallon freezer bag, massage bag to distribute well, shrimp will marinate in the freezer.
- I like my veggies crunchy, if you prefer yours softer, leave them in the original bag from the store, rubber band them to the bag of shrimp and seasoning.
- For softer vegetables- Add 2 tsp. oil to a large nonstick skillet (or wok), saute vegetables for 5-7 minutes, then add shrimp and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- For crisper veggies- Add everything at once cook for 5-7 minutes total- longer will leave your shrimp too tough.
- Serve over rice or noodles for a complete meal.