Philly Cheesesteak Freezer Meal
I am not claiming that these are authentic Philly Cheesesteaks, I only know that they always turn out delicious and my family devoured them. They are also quick and easy to prep and cook, making them an almost weekly favorite in our house. The ingredients freeze well and still cook up beautifully- making it an ideal recipe for our Skillet Freezer Meal.
1-1 1/2 lbs. carne picada, or preferred cut (skirt steak or flap meat)
2-3 green sweet peppers
1 large onion
1 T. Worcestershire
2 cloves garlic, crushed
provolone or swiss sliced or shredded cheese
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
- You can use any type of meat you usually prefer for your cheese steaks, I ran across carne picada at Walmart and I love how it is already small, cooks quick, and has a great texture-very tender if not overcooked- so it has become my go to meat for things like this.
- Slice peppers and onions into strips.
- Combine all ingredients in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, knead to combine ingredients well, meat will marinate even frozen, imparting delicious flavor.
- Press bag flat to conserve freezer space. Rubber band cheese package to freezer bag so that you have it on hand when ready to cook.
- Place contents of bag in a large skillet with 1-2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Saute until meat is cooked and pepper and onions are softened throughout.
- Pile generously in a roll and top with cheese, broil in oven on low (watch closely) until edges are crisp and cheese is melted. You can skip this part if you wish but it gives a nice texture to the rolls and extra melt to the cheese.