Very few women are blessed with a flawless, perfect complexion. That’s why it’s necessary for most of us to use a good makeup foundation. A foundation works to camouflage dark areas, hide blemishes, and even out skin tone. If you’re looking for a foundation to use but don’t know if you should get a liquid or a powder foundation, we’re here to help.
It’s important to know the different benefits of liquid and powder foundations before you chose the one that’s right for your skin. We’ve included the benefits of both below so you can understand how they’re different from one another.
Liquid Foundation Benefits
Liquid foundation is beneficial in a number of ways. That’s why it’s the most commonly used type of foundation.
- Liquid foundations provide better coverage than powder foundation. Liquid foundations are also available in a larger variety of shades.
- It’s easier to apply and blend liquid foundations. This makes them a smart choice for anyone who is just starting to use makeup.
- Liquid foundations are much more hydrating than powder foundations. This is why they’re the top choice among people with oily skin. Once applied, a liquid foundation will continuously hydrate the skin all day. This ongoing hydration makes liquid foundation ideal for overly-dry skin that can flake.
- Because it has natural shine properties, liquid foundation is very good at providing a luminous finish to the skin. And, many women prefer liquid because it can be applied in layers for more opaque coverage.
- Finally, due to it’s better coverage capabilities, liquid foundation excels at concealing fine lines, large pores, and breakouts.
Drawbacks to Liquid Foundation
Even though liquid foundation offers many benefits, it does come with some drawbacks.
- While liquid foundation can create a luminous look, it can also make your face look shiny when you begin to sweat. If you happen to have oily skin, this drawback can steer you away from using a liquid foundation. After all, the last thing your oily skin needs is more shine.
- Another disadvantage of liquid foundation is that it can make your face look cakey if you choose the wrong formula. It can also make your face look gray or ashy if you use the wrong shade.
- Liquid foundation can also seep into those imperfections you’re trying to hide to make them more noticeable. This is because it mixes with the oil and perspiration on your skin throughout the day.
- Perhaps the biggest drawback to liquid foundation is that it can clog pores and aggravate acne. For this reason, many people with severe acne and large pores steer clear of liquid foundations altogether.
Powder Foundation Benefits
While powder foundation isn’t as popular as its liquid counterpart, it does offer many solid benefits.
- Powder foundation provides sheer coverage for a very natural appearance. With that fact in mind, a powder may not be for you if you need heavy coverage. For instance, if you have large areas of acne scarring, a powder simply won’t cover it well. There are a few full coverage foundations in powder form, but they’re not easy to find.
- Because powder foundation is dry and absorbing, it works well for oily skin. Even though your skin produces sweat and oil, a powder will absorb that extra moisture to keep your face flawless throughout the day.
- Powder foundation is often healthier than liquid foundation. Why? Because it generally contains fewer preservatives. This is why many health-conscious people go with powder foundations. The powders simply don’t include many questionable ingredients that can be potentially harmful.
- Many women prefer the convenience of powder foundation. Since it goes on easily with a brush, it’s a cinch to apply. Plus, it only takes a few seconds to apply more powder during the day, which is advantageous if you lead a busy lifestyle.
Drawbacks to Powder Foundation
Even though powder foundation offers a natural look and other benefits, it does have its disadvantages.
- Powder foundation can get messy because it’s loose in form. When applying it with a brush, tiny bits of the foundation can end up on your clothes.
- Another disadvantage to powder is that it can leave your face looking blotchy if you don’t apply it correctly.
- Because it’s not smooth like liquid, powder foundation can settle into fine lines and creases on your face. And, if you have very noticeable imperfections like acne scars, a powder may not conceal them fully. This is because powder doesn’t cover as well as liquid.
- Finally, powder foundation must be applied with care when layering so it stays in place. Many beginners who try layering powder foundation end up making a mess with the applicator brush. It can take time to perfect the right layering technique when using a powder foundation.
Liquid or Powder Foundation: Which is Right for You?
Now that you know the main differences between liquid and powder foundation, it’s time to make your choice. The basic rule to follow when deciding what type of foundation to use is to start with your skin type.
If you have dry or mature skin, a liquid foundation is your best bet. It offers more coverage and often contains hydrating, nourishing, & softening ingredients.
If you have oily or combination skin, you should be using a powder foundation that absorbs excess oils.
In the end, it’s up to you to decide. Consider your skin type, what you want to cover, and the type of finish you desire. There are tons of amazing foundations in both liquid and powder form. Explore the wide range of options and find your favorite!
You can find a decent selection of foundations at your favorite pharmacy in the cosmetics aisle. Your local makeup shop also carries a nice variety, although the selection will be more limited and expensive. If you want to choose from a vast assortment of foundations at the lowest possible prices, shop online. There are lots of makeup stores on the web that sell foundation.
You can find a huge selection of foundations on Amazon. This retail giant carries all the big brands like Maybelline, Revlon, Covergirl, etc. It also offers many amazing foundations from brands you may not be familiar with. The prices on Amazon are great too, so check it out. Chances are you’ll find the perfect foundation at a budget-pleasing price!