DIY: Make Your Own Throw Pillows
DIY Make Your Own Throw Pillows
Have you noticed how expensive throw pillows and decorative pillows have become? Home décor stores are selling single pillows for as much as $40 each, so if you want multiples to accent your sofa or bedroom you are looking at over $100 for several pillows. This may not be in your budget, or anywhere close to it, so what are the alternatives? Do you just do without? Well, the good news is, you don’t have to. You can easily and inexpensively make your own thrown pillows for just a fraction of the cost. You don’t have to be an expert seamstress, and you don’t have to be a super-duper crafty queen in order to make your own. If you can sew a simple stitch you can make your own throw pillows without a doubt. Take a look below at a simple tutorial for how to make your own throw pillows. In no time, you can have charming and fluffy pillows adorning your favorite spaces and you won’t have busted your budget putting them there.
How To Make Your Own Throw Pillows:
First, let’s take a look at what you will need for this project. Most of these items can be found at your local craft or retail store. If purchasing from Hobby Lobby or Michael’s, be sure to print off your 40% off coupon before you shop for extra savings.
- 1 yard of a fabric of your choice.
- Tape measure
- 1 bag of polyester batting. (we love this one from Mountian Mist)
- Straight pins
- A ruler
- Sewing machine (I currently use this Brother Sewing Machine, it’s lightweight and under $100 on Amazon.com)
- Buttons, ribbon, or accents of your choice. Optional.
If you don’t have a sewing machine, by all means, you can hand stitch your edges although it will take much longer. You can always see if a friend will let you use theirs, or some sewing centers and craft stores have them available for rent.
- Lay your fabric out flat and iron if needed.
- Use your tape measure and measure out the pillow size of your choice. A 12 by 12-inch pillow is ideal for starting out; however, you can make any size you wish.
- Cut your fabric to size. Cut two matching squares.
- Place your matching squares on top of each other with the patterns facing inward and the plain, backside of the fabric facing outward.
- Take your straight pins and pin along the edges of the fabric so the two pieces remain intact.
- Now it is time to start stitching. Start in the center of one of the sides of the pillow and start a straight stitch. Continue to go around the perimeter of the pillow. Remove pins as you go.
- Stitch the entire perimeter with the exception of about two inches.
- In that two-inch opening, pull the fabric through so the pillow is now right side out. Fluff as needed.
- Again using that two-inch opening, start stuffing your poly filler inside. Use your ruler to really stuff it in there and make sure it is getting into all of the corners.
- Once the pillow is stuffed to your liking, stitch the final two inches closed. Fluff again as needed.
See what a cinch it is to sew your own throw pillows? In no time you can whip up several perfect for all of your decorating needs. Get creative and explore thrift shops for a variety of fabrics, or use some old fabric scraps you already have and save even more. When you make your own throw pillows you will feel so proud of your decorating accomplishments, and no doubt your friends will want you to make some for them too! Now the only question is, how will you find the time to make them all? Happy crafting!