Temps are finally starting to drop so it is time to break out your favorite fall foods that warm you from the inside out. For us, that means chili and my family really enjoys a good chili with cornbread crust topping- everything all in one pan! This quick skillet meal is easy to cook and clean up which means that you can enjoy sitting down to eat dinner with the family- that is what makes this dish ideal for Freezer Meals. I find with the cornbread being filling that I can usually separate this into two different pans and make two meals of it, if you have big eaters or want leftovers for the next day or dinner you may want to keep it to just one.
- 1 lb. ground beef (you can sub with ground turkey or Bison)
- 1- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 -14 oz. can tomato puree
- 1 -14 oz. kidney beans
- ½ cup water
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
Put aside your favorite cornbread mix in the pantry to top your chili when ready to cook it for lunch or dinner.
- Brown ground beef, drain excess fat, allow to cool completely.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a gallon freezer-safe bag.
- Stir to combine or knead the bag to mix all ingredients well.
- Press bag flat, add to the freezer.
- Thaw freezer bag completely.
- Pour chili into a deep oven-safe pot, heat on stovetop for 20 minutes on medium-low.
- Make cornbread according to package directions but do not pour in a separate pan to cook, spread the mixture on top of chili and bake in the oven according to your cornbread package directions. I like to top mine with a generous dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Slice, scoop and serve. Simply and easy!
Other Posts You Might Like
7 Sneaky Ways To Get Black Friday Deals Year Round
August 20, 2015
Everyone loves to save money on gifts, but these sneaky ways to get Black Friday deals year round will totally change how you view…
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?
December 19, 2019
Many people are confused about how often they should wash their hair. It’s common to hear that you shouldn’t wash your hair every day because…
How we downsized (and saved thousands!)
March 9, 2015
Our ultimate financial goal is to be independent… and sometimes that means you have to truly live below your means. This isn’t always the…
November 3, 2016 at 6:53 am
I just noticed here it says to use 14 oz cans but the ingredient list says to buy 10 oz cans??
Is that a typo or should I but 14 oz? Thanks
November 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm
either should be fine! 🙂