Cornbread Chili Pie: Freezer Skillet Meal
Temps are finally starting to drop so it is time to break out your favorite fall foods that warm you from the inside out. For us that means chili and my family really enjoys a good chili with a cornbread crust topping- everything all in one pan! Quick and easy cooking and clean up means that you can enjoy sitting down to eat with the family- that is what makes this dish ideal for Freezer Meals. I find with the cornbread being filling that I can usually separate this into two different pans and make two meals of it, if you have big eaters or want leftovers for the next day you may want to keep it to just one.
1 lb. ground beef (you can sub with ground turkey or Bison)
1- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 -14 oz. can tomato puree
1 -14 oz. kidney beans
½ cup water
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
Put aside your favorite cornbread mix in the pantry to top your chili when ready to cook it.
- Brown ground beef, drain excess fat, allow to cool completely.
- Combine all of the ingredients in gallon freezer safe bag.
- Stir to combine or knead bag to mix all ingredients well.
- Press bag flat, add to freezer.
- Thaw freezer bag completely.
- Pour chili into a deep oven safe pot, heat on stove top for 20 minutes on medium low.
- Make cornbread according to package directions but do not pour in a separate pan to cook, spread mixture on top of chili and bake in oven according to your cornbread package directions. I like to top mine with a generous dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Slice, scoop and serve.