Among the key baby care products that any family would need to invest in is a good bathtub. Baby care takes a lot of time and effort throughout the day. Baby care is intensive, time-consuming, and quite taxing. Therefore, parents want products that do their job well and ease up the process like the best baby bathtub can do.
Babies can be small but have lots of energy. They can move around quickly, wriggle in and out of anything pretty fast. Keeping hold of them is therefore very difficult. This is more so while bathing them because it’s difficult to get a hold of them as they escape or have fun at your expense.
The earlier generations got away with the kitchen sink acting as the bathtub, which did the job remarkably safely and pretty well. However, with changing times, the needs and requirements have changed. There are already better products available to make the job even easier.
Do Parents Still Need a Bathtub?
Theoretically and practically, you can still use the kitchen sink or the bathroom basin. However, a bathtub will help you hold and secure the baby in place while trying to clean it. A good bathtub ensures you can clean the baby quickly, effectively, and in less amount time.
You can also do it yourself instead of relying on more helping hands. Thus getting a bathtub scores over not having one. You can also place the bathtub anywhere. Like the kitchen tabletop, anywhere in the house, or even outside in the garden so the baby has a good time.
Why is a Bathtub a Better Option?
Several other factors make bathtubs a better option. Let us discuss some below:
- Convenience: Although the kitchen sink is usable, you will have to scrub it really well both before and after use involving additional time and effort.
- Comfort: Unless the baby and the mother are comfortable in any activity, any task is going to be tough, especially in the postpartum stage when the mother needs more care while still recovering.
- Safety: Bathtubs are designed to have a firm grip on the baby with an anti-slip surface. They place the babies in an easy-to-bathe posture making the job at hand quite easy. Besides, they are also designed to hold baby’s heads in a manner that does not strain their necks.
As a result, bathtubs are the best choice for newborn babies but keep in mind that babies can outgrow the tub very fast, and in a couple of months, you will be looking for a new tub again.
Different Types of Bathtubs
There are several different types of bathtubs available in the market, and let us have a look at their basic types.
Sink Insert Seats
These are tub insert seats that can fit inside your sink and provide a space for the baby to have a safe bath. The benefits are ease of use, convenience, ease of storage, and ease of cleaning or maintaining.
They are padded inserts that fit inside the sink and convert the sink into a mini bathtub. They are usually quite flexible as they have to fit various sink sizes apart from being great for limited space areas. But they are easily outgrown in just 4-6months.
They are essentially small tubs and can stand on their own. Also, they can be used anywhere depending on their size and are very safe. They can last up to 2 years during the baby’s initial growth because they are miniature tubs. Because of their standalone quality, they can be placed anywhere in the house. Quite a few ships with an additional accessory to fit in newborns that can be taken off after the baby outgrows them. Therefore, they are quite long-lasting.
These bathtubs are mostly similar in functionality to Basin tubs but can change their size and adapt to the baby as it grows. Thereby being very convenient to use, store, and also lasting a longer time than conventional tubs.
Best Baby Bathtub: What Makes it the Best?
Now that we know the concept of bathtubs and also their types let’s understand the minimum set of expectations from a bathtub. Any bathtub that is reviewed has to meet these basic parameters. Anything additional will be welcomed.
Basic Requirements of Bathtubs
- The bathtub should not have any sharp corners. All baby products have rounded surfaces and edges to make sure the baby is extremely safe, and no unnecessary accidents happen.
- Since water and soap are going to play a part, all surfaces have to be non-skid surfaces on every side of the bathtub where the baby is placed. Therefore bottom, sides, and top of the bathtub have to be non-skid.
- The bathtub must easily hold the baby in the right posture, and there should be an arrangement to hold the baby’s head and shoulders correctly.
- Since the baby will be using the bathtub for a few months at least, it must have enough free space to accommodate the growing baby size.
- The bathtub should be light and easily portable so that you can use it in any part of your house and possibly even travel with it if the need arises.
- It should be quick to drain, easy to clean, and dry fast, thereby maintaining good hygiene, which is crucial.
- The material of the bathtub must not be harmful to the baby.
These are all the basic requirements that guarantee that the product is good for the baby and safe as well. Most manufacturers offer a variety of beautiful designs with several add-on features to enhance the look and make them stand out. Let us review a product that best meets the above requirements.
Fisher-Price 4-In-1 Sling’ n Seat Tub
This product is one of the best examples of a multi-purpose bathtub that will also last you a long time. It sports a convertible bath center that has four different stages of use. It also includes gentle rinsing or playing whale scoop toy and a squeeze bottle.
The Four Stages of Use
- A sling mesh design for gently cradling newborns in water
- Slipping and sliding prevented by the “Baby stopper” insert.
- For unsteady sitters, there is the Sit-Me-Up support system in place
- A large tub at the base, which can accommodate toddlers.
As we can see, this Fisher-Price bathtub set is adaptable to the baby’s requirements as they grow bigger and will be used in different ways.
The first stage of use has the sling mesh mechanism with enough grip that it prevents the newborns from slipping and sliding anywhere. It gently cradles the baby in just the right water level, thus also giving them a sense of security. The sling mesh cradle holds them firmly in place and makes bathing easier for the parents as well as the babies.
Once babies grow larger, you can replace the sling with the “Baby Stopper” unit, which rests the babies on a gentle foam recline. When the baby can sit up, the “baby stopper” can be used as unique Sit-Me-Up support that will keep the baby steady in place in the tub.
After a few months, the toddler would have outgrown the mesh seat and its support system, which is when the whole base tub can be used as a small pool to play and splash water around. A scoop for washing and a squeeze bottle is included in the package. The bathtub is 30 inches long, which is the normal size for a baby bathtub.
Newborn babies up to 3 months old can use the sling support until they are about 15 pounds. After this, they can use the next stage. From ages 3 up to 6 months, they can use an infant insert seat up to 20 pounds. When the baby is age 6 to 9 months, it is recommended to start using the Sit-Me-Up support seat. Post that, and when the baby is comfortable to sit and play in the water, the parent can shift the baby to the toddler tub.
Product Dimensions and Design
This product weighs around 4.6 pounds, and its dimensions are 17.75 x 8.75 x 30.5 inches. They are available in 2 different but cute design styles. It can be purchased for around $40 and is a great value for money at this price. This one product will take you from an infant stage right up to a toddler with no additional expenditure. This is our value pick.
There are many baby bathtub products. But, a few set of principles and requirements are set as standard. For example, the convenience, safety, and usability perspective, which we already discussed in the article. Any bathtub that meets or exceeds those expectations is a good buy. After this, it’s a personal preference based on the price, design, and individual preference. But keep in mind that you and your baby deserve the best baby bathtub to enjoy your time together!